This simple Mexican comfort food is brought to you by Journey Mexico and their friends at El Arrayan. It is super easy to make and even easier to eat. It’s an easy but traditional Mexican dish sure to please the whole family and friends. Enjoy!
- Cooked White Rice-1/2 cup
- Ground Beef-12 ozs
- Ground Pork-12 ozs
- 1 Large Egg
- Mexican Oregano-1/4 tsp
- Fresh Mint Sprigs-3pcs
- Black Pepper-1/4 tsp
- Salt-To taste
- Cumin Seeds-1/4 tsp
- Chopped White Onion-1/3 cup
- Ripe Roma Tomatoes-12 oz
- Vegetable Oil-2 tbsp
- Chopped White Onion-1 cup
- Light meat or chicken broth-4 cups
- Chipotle Peppers “Abobado”-to taste
- Mix the pork and ground beef, onion, salt, mint, rice, pepper and raw egg in a bowl. The cooked rice and raw eggs are what hold the meatballs together. Form meatballs about the size of a round tablespoon or slightly larger. If you roll them right you may can get a dozen on the plate. Place them on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet and broil on high for about 8-10 minutes. (If using a convection toaster oven, use the broil option and cook for about 15 minutes.)
- While they’re cooking, cut up the fresh tomatoes and put them in boiling water for about 5 minutes until soft. After that, then add tomatoes in the blender with garlic, chipotle pepper, chicken broth, and blend the whole mixture until it comes out smooth.
- Add a few tablespoons of the vegetable oil to a stockpot and heat the oil. Fry the onions until they are translucent. Add the blended sauce to the onions, bring to a boil and let cook for about 3 minutes.
- After the onions and sauce is cooked for 3 minutes, then add the meatballs to the mixture with a reduced heat and then cook them for approximently 40 mins covered. Be sure to cover your meatballs fully in the sauce so they can brown on both sides.
You can serve with: White rice or whole black beans or just leave it as is